Everton midfielder Andre Gomes has been released from hospital after surgery to repair a fracture-dislocation to his right ankle.
Gomes suffered the injury during Sunday’s 1-1 Premier League draw with Tottenham at Goodison Park. The Portugal international will now continue his rehabilitation under the guidance of Everton’s medical team.
The club revealed on Monday the procedure had gone “extremely well”, with the 26-year-old expected to make a full recovery.
A statement said: “Everton Football Club can confirm Andre Gomes underwent surgery to repair a fracture-dislocation to his right ankle earlier today and the procedure went extremely well.
“The Portugal international, who sustained the injury in yesterday’s Premier League fixture with Tottenham Hotspur, will now spend some time recovering in hospital, before returning to USM Finch Farm to start his rehabilitation under the guidance of the Club’s medical staff.”
It added: “Expectedly, Gomes will make a full recovery. On behalf of Andre, the Club would like to thank all Everton supporters. We also thank the football family for the support we have received since yesterday’s match.”
Gomes’ injury overshadowed what had been a poor match between two under-performing sides. Also, VAR had been the major talking point prior to the incident.
Though Everton cancelled out Dele Alli’s opening goal with a Cenk Tosun header deep into the 12 minutes of time added on following Gomes’ injury, there was little sense of celebration at full-time.
FA overturns Son’s red card
Also, the Football Association on Tuesday overturned Heung-min Son’s red card for his tackle on Gomes. Spurs appealed the red card issued to the forward for his tackle on Gomes during the 1-1 Premier League draw on Sunday, which led to Everton player suffering a fracture-dislocation to his right ankle.
Referee Martin Atkinson had initially given Son a yellow card but he was later shown a straight red card. The club thereafter appealed the FA’s decision.
However, an Independent Regulatory Commission assessed the case on Tuesday and agreed it was wrongful dismissal.
The FA in a statement said: “Heung-min Son will be available for Tottenham Hotspur FC’s next three games. This is after an Independent Regulatory Commission upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal.
“The forward was sent off for serious foul play during the Premier League fixture against Everton FC on Sunday 3 November 2019.”